Mult/Div learning

WALT: Solve division facts using algorithm.

 
In Mrs Pattens class we are learning how to solve division questions using algorithm. Here is how you work it out.
 So first you write the question in a algorithm form. In this occasion we are doing 84 /6 so what we do first is we say to ourselves "How many 6's go into 8 without going over the number 8?". The answer is...1. One 6 goes into 8 with 2 remainders(Put the number 1 on top of the line). So we put the remainder(s) (2) onto the other number (4) which makes it 24. Then we ask ourselves " How many  6's go into 24?" And the answer is 4.  So we put 4 on the top of the line next to the 1. The answer is 14!!!  :)



What have I learned? 
I have learned how to solve division facts is an easy way.

What is my next learning step?
My next learning step is to be more confident with this way of working out


                                                Multiplication


In multiplication I learnt how to use doubling and halving to solve multiplication problems. Doubling and halving is where you double one and halve the other. For example...

14 x 5
Figure out which one to double and which one to halve.  The easiest one to double is 5 which is 10. Then I'll halve 14 which is 7. 7 x 10 = 70 Wallah. ALL DONE!

What have I learned?
I learnt how to solve big multiplication problems using doubling and halving.

What is my next learning step?
To use the method more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment